Penne with Eggplant Caponata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large eggplant (about 500g), cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) pitted green olives
- 1/3 cup (65g) drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 400g Rummo Penne Rigate
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until light golden.
Increase heat to high, add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until golden, then add tomatoes, sugar, and a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is cooked and sauce thickens. Stir in the olives, capers, and parsley.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain well, then toss with sauce, and serve with parmesan.